An instant make-over with summer bulbs in pots
When it’s time to sit outside, your balcony and patio are just where you want to be. At the time of year, they become an extension of your living room. And turning them into a colorful little Garden of Eden – with summer bulbs in pots – is a quick make-over. You can have flower bulbs in bloom there from mid-May, and all it takes is a single afternoon. Then sit back, relax and enjoy those gorgeous flowers.
Top 10 summer bulbs in pots
Summer bulbs in pots are summer-flowering bulbs that growers have planted in cultivation pots and grown into mature plants. This means that you don’t have to wait until summer bulbs finally produce their first flowers since these plants are already in bud. The only thing left to do is plant them in a pretty planter. The result? An instant make-over of your balcony or patio that you can enjoy straightaway. But which summer bulbs in pots should you choose? We made list of our top ten.
- Lily (Lilium)
- Calla Lily (Zantedeschia)
- Canna Lily (Canna)
- African Lily (Agapanthus)
- Cape Hyacinth (Galtonia)
- Star-of-Bethlehem (Ornithogalum)
- Abyssinian Gladiolus
- Pineapple Lily (Eucomis)
Caring for summer bulbs in pots
We can’t think of an easier way to add color to your balcony or patio than with summer bulbs in pots. For such little effort, you can be enjoying a profusion of flowers all summer long. And to make sure you do, just follow these tips:
- Planters or pots should have holes in the bottom to let excess water drain out.
- Place some pot shards at the bottom of the pots to prevent the drainage holes from becoming clogged.
- Summer bulbs will feel most at home in a warm sunny spot; give them their place in the sun and let them really shine.
- Give them a nice drink of water often enough.
- Snip out faded flowers from the plants now and then so that the plants will continue to bloom.